How to Handle Road Rage
To handle aggressive drivers, follow these rules:
- Do not react to insults, gestures, or other rude behavior.
- Do not respond in any way, either verbally or behaviorally, other than to back off and give the aggressive driver room to "leave."
- Stay away from drivers who are speeding or exhibiting another form of anxiety.
- Do not engage the aggressive driver—do not establish eye contact.
- Do not try to gain the upper hand and never try to teach someone a "lesson."
Here are some positive ways to handle road rage in other drivers as well as in yourself:
- Be tolerant.
- Be forgiving and realize that you make mistakes too.
- Be helpful and courteous to every driver, even rude ones.
- Develop a sense of humor.
- Be physically fit. A good exercise regimen is an excellent way to blow off steam.
- Eat properly and get enough rest.
- Confide in a friend on a regular basis—don't let your emotions pile up. Talk them out.