Texas Driving Lessons Make You a Safe, Skilled Driver—for Life!
Get Texas Driving Lessons Tailored to Your Needs
DriversEd.com is here to provide the behind-the-wheel training you need, no matter your age or skill level. We offer Texas driving lessons for all kinds of reasons: earn your first drivers license, polish your driving skills, master challenging situations, and more.
DriversEd.com is a TDLR-licensed driving school offering behind-the-wheel driving lessons across Texas. We've taught more than six million people to drive over the past 25 years, and our friendly, patient driving instructors tailor the curriculum to your needs. Initially authorized by the TEA and DPS (school #C2548, license #108), we are fully licensed and the only school that is both approved by the Road Safety Educators' Association and accredited by the Driving School Association of the Americas.
We have a fleet of MINI Countryman and Mazda3 cars for all our lessons. These vehicles are safe, easy to maneuver, and perfect to train in. We also have a full staff of professional, licensed instructors who will help you develop the skills you need to drive safely and confidently.
Call us toll-free at 877-877-2525 or find our local number!
Texas Driving Lesson Requirements
Texas has different requirements for in-car training depending on your age. Find out what you need to do to earn your Texas driver license, depending on how old you are!
In Texas, driving lessons for teens are required by the DPS. Students between 15 and 18 years old must:
- Pass a 32-hour drivers education course
- Earn a learner license/instruction permit by passing a written test
- Complete 7 hours of in-car drivers training and 7 hours of driving observation with a licensed driving instructor, plus 30 hours of driving supervised by a licensed driver, including 10 hours at night
- Complete the Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) course offered by the Texas DPS, required as of September 1, 2015
- Pass the in-car driving test at the DPS
You can take drivers education and in-car driving lessons at the same time, but you must have a learner license/instruction permit to begin your driving lessons. You are eligible for a learner license and starting your in-car driving lessons once you've finished the first 6-hour module of drivers ed, which covers Texas traffic rules and regulations.
You have two options for in-car training. With Parent-Taught Drivers Education, you can start in-car instruction with your parent, step-grandparent, step-parent, foster parent, grandparent, or legal guardian. Or, you can take driving lessons with a DPS / TDLR-approved driving school, like ours.
DriversEd.com offers Texas driving lessons for teens, so you get the training you need to handle your car safely and confidently. Our driving instructors are up-to-date on the latest techniques in crash avoidance, braking, driving safety, and Texas driving laws—and they'll pass that knowledge on to you!
Over 18 and Under 25
If you're over 18 and under 25 years old:
- You must complete a 6-hour adult drivers education course approved by the TEA / TDLR
- You must apply for a learner license/instruction permit
Driving lessons are not required, but learning to drive from our professional instructors will help you gain skill and confidence on the road. You'll learn and practice everything you need to know to pass the DPS driving test.
25 and Over
If you're 25 years or older:
- You must apply for a learner license/instruction permit.
Driving lessons are not required, but learning from our professional instructors is a convenient way to become a safer and better driver. We can make the whole process easier for you and help you pass that DPS road test the very first time!
Info for Parents about Teen Driving Lessons
- Your teen will learn in a MINI Countryman or Mazda3 with a top safety rating
- Our curriculum covers all driving skills, from simple to complex
- We offer free lesson pickup and dropoff at a convenient location
- At the end of each lesson, we will assess your teen's driving ability
- Professional, uniformed driving instructors are available
Parents trust DriversEd.com because we're Texas's best driving school. We have 25 years of experience providing driving lessons for teens. We're the only school that is both approved by the Road Safety Educators' Association and accredited by the Driving School Association of the Americas.
Our driving school operates locally with local driving instructors in areas across the state. Our certified instructors are smart, patient, and friendly. Each lesson is tailored to the student's learning style. Your teen will get behind-the-wheel training on all driving skills, as well as the latest defensive driving methods and safety techniques.
We have a fleet of MINI Countryman and Mazda3 cars for all our lessons. Your teen will learn in a vehicle with a high safety rating, so you know they'll be safe. Parents are always welcome to ride along and observe lessons.
Your TX Driving Lessons
- Practice driving in a MINI Countryman or Mazda3 — vehicles with a top safety rating
- Get picked up for your lesson from a convenient location — for free!
- Learn from certified professional driving instructors
- Master the basics and learn road skills for the DMV driving test
- Get trained in safety procedures and defensive driving
- Gain confidence and skill for driving in difficult situations
- Earn an insurance discount of up to 10%!
- Find Texas driving lessons in your city
Call us toll-free at 877-877-2525 or find our local number!
How TX Behind-the-Wheel Training Works
Sign Up for TX Driving Lessons
If you're under 18, the DPS requires you to complete 7 hours of in-car Texas driving lessons and 7 hours of driving observation with a licensed instructor, and drivers of all ages can benefit from in-car training. Our TEA / DPS / TDLR licensed driving school (school #C2548, license #108) offers Texas driving lessons for teens and adults alike. Start training to become a safe and skilled driver for life: studies show that drivers who learn from a professional driving instructor are almost three times less likely to be in a serious crash over their lifetimes!
Create an account now and request a time for your lesson!
- Train in a MINI Countryman or Mazda3 with a top safety rating
- Get private lessons from patient, friendly, uniformed instructors
- Get an insurance discount of up to 10%!
- Pickup and drop-off at convenient location is included
- Track your lesson progress online
Request a Time for Your Lesson Online!
It's easy to request Texas driving lessons with DriversEd.com—you can even do it on your smartphone. Just use our convenient online system to tell us what time is best for you. We'll call you back to confirm the appointment.
When it's time for your lesson, one of our certified, uniformed instructors will pick you up from a convenient location for free. (We'll drop you off after the lesson for free too!) Every lesson in Texas takes place in a MINI Countryman or Mazda3. Safe and easy to handle, it's the perfect vehicle to learn in.
Our certified, professional instructors tailor each lesson to your needs and learning style. We'll prepare you to pass your driving test or for driving downtown, on the highway, in heavy traffic, or in bad weather. With our Texas driving lessons, you'll soon be driving with confidence and ease.
- Earn your first drivers license at any age
- Master challenging or stressful driving situations
- Gain confidence after a collision or behind-the-wheel scare
- Learn the latest defensive driving and safety procedures
- Brush up on basic maneuvers on all road types
Learn in a Top-Rated Car and Prepare for the DPS Driving Test (If You Still Have to Take It)
Regardless of age, all first-time drivers are required to pass a DPS in-car driving test to earn their license in Texas. Teens under 18 are also required to take 7 hours of instruction and 7 hours of observation. Driving lessons for adults are not required by the DPS, but it's still a good idea to take lessons with a professional driving school like ours. Our instructors guide you through everything from starting the car to mastering vehicle control, giving you the skills, confidence, and knowledge necessary for a lifetime of safe driving.
After the lesson, your instructor will upload a review of your driving lesson. Plus, you get to review us too: all our students are encouraged to send DriversEd.com feedback on our instructors. Your input makes it possible for us to offer the best and most professional Texas driving lessons for teens and adults.
- Learn road skills for the DPS driving test
- Get trained in defensive driving techniques
- Learn about new driving technologies
- Practice tricky driving maneuvers and situations
Master Safe Driving Skills That Last a Lifetime
In Texas, driving laws change every year. Behind-the-wheel training with our certified driving instructors keeps you up to date on the latest driving laws and techniques in crash avoidance, braking, and driving safety on increasingly packed Texas roads.
Our patient instructors provide personal attention and a flexible curriculum that we tailor to your needs. Our driving lessons cover the skills the DPS will test, and build a foundation for safe driving. We'll help you build defensive driving skills to ensure you are ready for the unexpected on the open road.
- Basic driving maneuvers
- Techniques for defensive driving
- Road skills for the DPS driving test
- Turning and changing lanes
- Parking at a curb, at an angle, and on a hill
- Going in reverse with confidence
- Freeway driving, including merging on and off
- Downtown driving
- And more!
At the end of your last Texas in-car driving lesson, we'll give you a final driving test to assess your abilities behind the wheel.