Auto Coverage You Need in Colorado

Find Out More About Colorado Auto Coverage

Colorado Drivers Ed

Get your license with America's #1 online driving school.

Colorado High School Credit Course

Colorado Drivers Ed online is the fast, effective way to learn the rules of the road and earn high school credit.

Colorado Practice Permit Test

Take our DMV practice permit tests to help you ace the real thing

Home / DMV Information / Colorado / Vehicle Insurance Requirements

Proper liability insurance is required to drive a car in Colorado. Since 1997, the state has maintained a database that lists whether specific individuals hold the proper amount of insurance. The aim of this program is to decrease the number of uninsured drivers on the road and reduce the expenses caused by road accidents. This database is used by law enforcement, traffic courts, and other government agencies. So what types of auto insurance do you need?

Liability insurance is required by law and is generally defined as coverage for property damage you cause to another's property through negligent operation of your vehicle or for bodily injury you cause to another person. Liability insurance also covers an accident caused when a person is driving your vehicle with your permission that gets in an accident.

For motor vehicles, Colorado law requires the following minimum amount of liability insurance:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $15,000 per accident for property damage

Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist coverage is usually sold together. Uninsured Motorist insurance covers your bodily injury losses caused by a hit-and-run driver or a driver who has no automobile liability insurance.

The underinsured motorist portion of this coverage covers bodily injury losses that you are legally entitled to collect from the owner or driver of an underinsured vehicle. An underinsured vehicle is a vehicle that is insured, but the bodily injury liability limits of that vehicle's policy are less than the limits of your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

For cars, Colorado law requires the following minimum amount of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (unless waived in writing by the policyholder):

  • $25,000 per person for uninsured/underinsured motorist;
  • $50,000 per accident for uninsured/underinsured motorists.

Collision and Comprehensive insurance are not required by law but are usually required by lenders as a condition for financing the vehicle. Collision insurance pays for damages to your car when caused by a collision with another vehicle or object or by a rollover. Comprehensive insurance protects you against damage to your own car from such perils as fire, theft, glass damage, windstorm, flood, vandalism, and other causes. In general, if your car isn't worth much, you probably should leave out these types of coverage to save on insurance.

Note: This article was accurate when it was published. Please confirm all details directly with the CO DMV. You can visit the CO DMV website or call the DMV for more information. is a privately held company and is in no way associated with the Department of Motor Vehicles, any other government agency, or the driving schools listed in this website. All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.