Signal your Intentions
- Always signal when you change direction. Signal even when you don't see any cars around. A car you don't see could hit you.
- Watch for other drivers' signals.
- Always signal before pulling next to (or away from) the curb.
- Signal before turning or changing lanes.
- Even though you signal, do not assume that the space you wish to occupy is clear. Look in your mirrors and over your shoulder to check your blind spot before making a lane change.
If you plan to turn beyond an intersection, don't signal until you are actually in the intersection. If you signal too early, another driver may think you will turn before you reach him or her and might pull into your path.
Check your signal after turning. Turn it off in case it hasn't clicked off by itself.