Pennsylvania DMV Central
Pennsylvania dmv other services Pennsylvania PENNDOT
Foreign Drivers License Holders

If you are visiting Pennsylvania and are planning to drive during your visit, you must be aware of traffic regulations specific to the state. If you are traveling within the state and you already hold a drivers license issued by another state or country, you are allowed to drive for a short period of time while in Pennsylvania. You may use your foreign driver license for up to a year. If you are planning to find employment or obtain Pennsylvania residency, you will be required to surrender your license issued by another country and obtain a Pennsylvania drivers license.

Please note that all new residents with foreign drivers licenses must obtain a Pennsylvania drivers license within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. Upon application, you will be required to take a written (and possibly a driving) examination.

It is important to understand that there are numerous road signs and traffic regulations that are specific to America and may not be enforced in your country of origin. It will be very useful for you to become acquainted with these rules, at least for your own safety. offers a course that is designed for those who wish to obtain more information on various aspects of owning and driving a vehicle in the U.S. The course contains extensive information on traffic laws, road signs, and vehicle registration and insurance. This course also prepares you for the written test that may be necessary for you to take. Whether you are a tourist, businessperson, foreign student, or new resident – offers a course for you. is a privately held company and is in no way associated with the Department of Motor Vehicles, any other government agency, or the driving schools listed in this website. All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.