Texas Driving Lessons FAQ
You may be confused by the process of earning your license in Texas, or maybe you just feel that your driving skills could use a little work. Fortunately, you've got us on your side! Check below for answers to questions nearly everyone asks about online drivers education, behind the wheel training, and Texas-specific requirements.
How It Works
Why should I take in-car driving lessons?
If you're a Texas teenager between 15 and 18 years old, you must take in-car driving lessons to earn your license. Under Texas law, if you're under 18 you must complete at least 7 hours of in-car driving lessons and 7 hours of observation with a licensed driving instructor in a DPS / TDLR-approved program, like ours.
Even if you're over 18, it's still a good idea to take driving lessons. Learning to drive from a professional will make you a safer, more confident driver. Whether you still need to pass the DPS test or just want to brush up on your driving skills, our adult driving lessons are tailored to your driving level and exact needs. Our instructors work with you, coaching you for as many hours as needed to help you gain the driving skills you need.
How do in-car driving lessons work?
Lessons are super-easy to arrange! After you schedule your lesson, a professional (and awesome) driving instructor will pick you up at one of our convenient pick-up locations close to your home.
What driving skills will I learn?
Our in-car driving lessons are tailored to teach you the skills that you need to improve on to become a better driver and/or to pass your DPS road test.
During your DPS driving skills test, there are several skills that you will be expected to perform competently. These driving skills are not only useful for passing your test but for maneuvering on Texas roads and all drivers should be able to perform them.
You'll learn driving skills from licensed instructors who will patiently teach you:
- Basic maneuvers and scanning
- Safety devices and procedures
- Entering traffic safely
- Lane position tracking
- Turning, including U-turns and three-point turns
- Adjusting to traffic flow and space cushion driving
- Handling intersections
- Parking, including hill and parallel parking
- Driving on freeways (entering and exiting)
- Great focus on all technical skills and maneuvers
- Road test preparation and much more!
Lesson Information for Teens
I'm under 18 and want to earn my license. What are my options for in-car lessons?
There are two options available to teenagers in Texas: Parent-Taught Drivers Education (PTDE) and lessons at a TEA / TDLR-Approved Driving School. Obviously, you will learn best and be safest when you learn from our professional instructors.
Parent-Taught Drivers Education
You can choose the Parent-Taught Drivers Education program and complete drivers education, behind-the-wheel training, or both drivers education and behind-the-wheel training with a qualified instructor. Your instructor will have to determine if they're qualified, submit an application with a $20 fee, and use approved PTDE course materials, like our online course.
Your PTDE instructor must:
- Be your parent, step-grandparent, step-parent, foster parent, grandparent, or legal guardian.
- Have had a valid drivers license for the past three years.
- Have no suspensions or revocations for traffic violations.
- Have fewer than 6 points on his or her driver record.
- Never have been convicted of (or received a probated sentence for) driving while intoxicated, driving under the influence, or criminally negligent homicide.
- Not be disabled due to mental illness.
TEA / TDLR-Approved Driving School
Once you complete our 32-hour classroom portion of drivers education, you are able to begin your 7 hours of behind-the-wheel training with one of our approved partner driving schools.
Now that I've signed up for my drivers education class, when can I start my in-car lessons?
If you're under 18, once you've finished your 32-hour drivers education course, you can begin 7 hours of in-car training and 7 hours of observation with us! If you're taking your drivers ed course online with us, you can start your in-car training with us as soon as you finish the first 6 hours of the course! If you're taking a Parent-Taught Drivers Education course, you can take lessons with your PTDE instructor after you finish the first 6 hours of drivers ed, or you can finish your entire 32-hour course and learn from a professional instructor from a licensed driving school, like us!
How many hours of in-car driving lessons do I need to earn my license?
If you are under 18, you must complete 7 hours of behind-the-wheel driving lessons and 7 hours of driving observation, followed by 30 hours of supervised driving with a licensed driver (including 10 hours at night).
Do I need to sign up for all 7 hours of in-car driving lessons and 7 hours of observation right away?
Not at all. If you want to sign up for one lesson at a time, we offer 2-hour lessons to suit your schedule and your needs. The 2-hour lesson includes 1 hour of driving and 1 hour of observation for teens, or 2 hours of driving for adults.
If You're Over 18
Why do adults take in-car driving lessons?
If you're an adult, in-car driving lessons are not required, but you will become a safer and more confident driver when you learn to drive with our professional instructors. Adults take in-car driving lessons for many reasons including:
- Earning a first drivers license
- Earning a Texas drivers license after moving to Texas
- Practicing driving on local roadways as a new driver in Texas
- Passing a DPS driving test in order to renew a drivers license
- Brushing up on driving skills to be a safer, better driver.
Whatever your goals, in-car driving lessons ensure you have the necessary basic driving skills you need, the road skills the DPS will test you on during your driving skills test, and the essential defensive driving skills to be a safe driver in Texas.
How can I make sure I learn the skills I need to know?
Because everyone has different reasons for taking drivers training, first think about what you want to gain from in-car driving lessons.
Our partner instructors can evaluate your skill level and outline a tailor a program that will help you achieve your driving goals. Each adult driving lesson is generally 2 hours long, and you can take as many lessons as you like.
How long are the in-car driving lessons? What is the recommended length of time?
A single driving lesson is 2 hours. How many hours you require depends on your goals, driving skills, and comfort level on the road.
Most adult drivers require anywhere from 4-12 hours depending on their particular needs.
What if I'm nervous about going too fast or not ready for heavy traffic?
Experienced and patient instructors will ensure that you learn at a pace that is comfortable and that challenges your driving skills. With in-car driving lessons, you can choose to pay for as little as two hours at a time and receive lessons that are tailored to your specific driving level and needs.
What is DriversEd.com Roadside Assistance?
At DriversEd.com, we are here for you every step of the way - that's why we've teamed up with Allstate Roadside Services to provide DriversEd.com students with three months of free roadside assistance. Turns out you can put a price tag on peace of mind!
Here's how it works:
- Sign up for any DriversEd.com Drivers Ed course.
- During checkout, make sure to click the button to claim your free trial of Roadside Assistance. This will enroll you in your three free months of roadside assistance. Free trial enrollment is only available during checkout. After your trial ends, your card will be charged $5/month, and you can cancel at any time.
- Hit the road with peace of mind knowing you are covered with emergency roadside assistance.
What you'll get:
- Roadside coverage available 24/7, anywhere in the United States
- Anyone in the DriversEd.com driver's family can use it!
- Digital tools to help you get the right service fast
- Towing, fuel delivery, lockout service, and more!
- For more information about the benefits involved, check out our terms and conditions here.
Got more questions? Contact our dedicated DriversEd.com Roadside Assistance line:
Phone: +1 (888) 289-2816
I have questions about my Roadside Assistance. Who should I contact?
Simply contact our dedicated Roadside Assistance support team, and a Customer Experience agent will help you out!
Phone: +1 (888) 289-2816
How do I use my Roadside Assistance service?
If you need to use your Roadside Assistance Benefits for towing, fuel delivery, or another included service, contact Allstate at 1-855-520-3691.
How do I cancel my DriversEd.com Roadside Assistance?
If you would like to cancel your Roadside Assistance, simply contact our dedicated Roadside Assistance agents.
Phone: +1 (888) 289-2816
Refund requests made after fifteen (15) days are subject to a $25.00 cancellation fee. All refunds will be prorated for unused lessons (minus no-show fees). We will issue your refund within thirty (30) days of your request.
Earn your license quickly and easily with online Texas drivers ed. Use any device from anywhere you like and finish fast!