Ohio Abbreviated Adult Drivers Ed FAQ
Find out how to get started with our DPS-approved online Ohio Abbreviated drivers ed course and what you need to do to get into the driver's seat.
How It Works
How does online drivers ed work?
Just create an account (it takes less than a minute), and you're all set to start our Ohio Abbreviated drivers ed course.
Log in and out whenever you want, from any Internet-connected computer. When you log back in, we'll take you to the exact place you left off. Compare that to spending your weekends in a classroom!
There will be a final exam at the end of your drivers ed course, but don't worry—you can review the course material as much as you want before you take it. Once you pass the test, we'll mail your Certificate of Completion within 1 business day. Shipment of certificates by USPS First Class Mail is free.
How do I get my drivers license?
If you are an applicant for an initial driver’s license who is 18+ years old and failed your first attempt at the maneuverability or road portion of the driving test, you’ll need to take this course to earn a driver license. Check out the steps below:
- Take the 4-hour online abbreviated adult driver training course with DEC.
- Complete your driving hours (see “What are your options?” above)
- Schedule your driving test
- Take your second attempt at the driving test. Bring:
If you fail your second attempt at the driving test, you do not have to take another abbreviated adult driver training course. You just must wait seven days before taking the driving test again.
Can I access the course using a mobile device?
Absolutely. Our course is accessible from your desktop, laptop, or mobile device. You can switch between the mobile site and the full desktop site whenever you want.
Who needs to take Ohio abbreviated drivers education?
You must take an abbreviated adult driver training course before attempting the driving test for a second time if you are:
- An applicant for an initial driver’s license, who is age 18 or older and
- You have failed your first attempt at the maneuverability or road portion of the driving test
Does the DriversEd.com course satisfy DPS and DPS requirements?
Yes, you will receive a DPS-accepted Certificate of Completion.
What exactly is drivers education and drivers training?
- Drivers education is a course that teaches you the rules of the road, vehicle safety, and everything that you need to know before you get behind the wheel for the first time.
- Drivers Training is the in-car driving lessons that you take with a licensed driving instructor.
How long will it take for me to finish the course?
That depends on your individual pace. In Ohio, all Abbreviated drivers education courses must be at least 4 hours. The good news is that with DriversEd.com, you can always go at your own pace and log in and out at your convenience. Think how fast time flies if you do 20 minutes here and there!
When will I receive my Certificate of Completion?
After you complete the entire course and pass your final test, we will ship your Certificate of Completion.
Can I get my Certificate of Completion faster?
For most courses, we offer free shipping of your completion certificate via U.S. Mail. In some cases, we even ship on the same day you complete your course. If you’d like your certificate sooner rather than later, we also offer affordable expedited delivery options via FedEx. Please note that if you live in a rural area, delivery delays may occur.
How do I get another copy of my Certificate of Completion?
If you lose your certificate, you can simply request a duplicate in your DriversEd.com account. Under your certificate delivery details, there will be a link to request a duplicate certificate.
Will I need to take in-car driving lessons after this course?
Yes. Once you take the 4 hour course and receive your certificate in the mail, you must complete ‘driving hours’ before attempting the driving test again. You have 2 options for completing these hours:
- Complete 4-hours behind-the-wheel with a licensed instructor affiliated with a licensed abbreviated adult driver training school or
- Practice 24-hr of driving with a licensed driver 21 years of age or older
- Can’t complete more than 4-hr of driving/day.
- Must complete Twenty-Four Hour Affidavit Form
Pricing and Payment
How do I make a payment?
You can pay online using VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or PayPal. You can also pay by credit card by calling our customer service at 888-651-2886.
Please note that prepaid debit/gift cards issued by VISA, MasterCard, American Express, etc., cannot be used online. Please call us, and we'll be happy to process your payment.
If you would like to pay by check or money order, just mail your payment along with your username to:
Attn: Billing Dept.
P.O. Box 238
Oakland, CA 94604-0238
Once we receive payment, we'll send you a confirmation email and update your course account.
Is it safe to use my credit card online?
Yes. We use only the latest security technology to protect your Internet transactions. To ensure your privacy, your credit card number is never kept on file, and we promise never to share your information with anyone else.
What is DriversEd.com Roadside Assistance?
At DriversEd.com, we are here for you every step of the way - that's why we've teamed up with Allstate Roadside Services to provide DriversEd.com students with three months of free roadside assistance. Turns out you can put a price tag on peace of mind!
Here's how it works:
- Sign up for any DriversEd.com Drivers Ed course.
- During checkout, make sure to click the button to claim your free trial of Roadside Assistance. This will enroll you in your three free months of roadside assistance. Free trial enrollment is only available during checkout. After your trial ends, your card will be charged $5/month, and you can cancel at any time.
- Hit the road with peace of mind knowing you are covered with emergency roadside assistance.
What you'll get:
- Roadside coverage available 24/7, anywhere in the United States
- Anyone in the DriversEd.com driver's family can use it!
- Digital tools to help you get the right service fast
- Towing, fuel delivery, lockout service, and more!
- For more information about the benefits involved, check out our terms and conditions here.
Got more questions? Contact our dedicated DriversEd.com Roadside Assistance line:
Phone: +1 (888) 289-2816
I have questions about my Roadside Assistance. Who should I contact?
Simply contact our dedicated Roadside Assistance support team, and a Customer Experience agent will help you out!
Phone: +1 (888) 289-2816
How do I use my Roadside Assistance service?
If you need to use your Roadside Assistance Benefits for towing, fuel delivery, or another included service, contact Allstate at 1-855-520-3691.
How do I cancel my DriversEd.com Roadside Assistance?
If you would like to cancel your Roadside Assistance, simply contact our dedicated Roadside Assistance agents.
Phone: +1 (888) 289-2816
It is important to us that you are satisfied with your purchase. If you change your mind about the course, we'll refund the full cost of any course purchased on our website within thirty (30) days of purchase, as long as a certificate of partial completion has NOT been issued. Once a partial completion certificate has been issued, NO REFUND will be available. Refunds will only be issued if the course has not been completed. We will issue your refund within thirty (30) days of your request.