Disability parking spaces were designed to be used by individuals who have a temporary or permanent impairment that may limit their ability to walk. In order to be able to utilize these parking spaces, your vehicle must be equipped with disabled person license plates or you must possess a disabled person parking placard.
You qualify for license plates or placards if you are:
- Do not have full use of an arm or both arms
- Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
- Cannot walk without use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistive device
- Are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person's forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter or the arterial oxy tension is less than 60 MM/HG on room air at rest
- Use portable oxygen
- Have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to the standards set by the American Heart Association
- Are severely limited in his or her ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition
- Are in loco parentis of a person specified in one of the above mentioned disabilities
The following forms—used to obtain a Person with Disability or Severely Disabled Veteran Placard, Motorcycle Decal, or Plate—require notarization:
Form MV-145 (7-07) Application for Disabled Person's Registration Plate or Motorcycle Plate Decal
Form MV-145A Person with Disability Parking Placard Application
Form MV-145V Application for Disabled Veteran Registration Plate or Motorcycle Plate Decal
Submit the above forms to:
PA Department of Transportation
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 68268
Harrisburg, PA 17106
The placards and the license plates will be mailed to your home address. Please note that if you are using a placard, it should always be displayed on the rearview mirror of your vehicle. To find out more visit the PennDOT Persons With Disability Parking Placard/Registration Plate page.
DriversEd.com is a privately held company and is in no way associated with the Department of Motor Vehicles, any other government agency, or the driving schools listed in this website. All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. DriversEd.com does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.