• Disability parking is not a privilege; it is a necessity for those who have medical conditions that restrict their movement. Most of us are able to park our vehicle down the block and walk a few hundred feet to a shop or cinema. However, that is not the case for some physically impaired individuals. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety is trying to eliminate this disadvantage by providing adequate parking spaces for handicapped persons and introducing laws that prevent people from abusing them.

    If you want to be able to use the parking facilities provided for the impaired, you must possess a disabled person's license plate or a disability certificate. The DPS currently issues the following types of certificates depending on the nature of impairment:

    • Temporary - valid for 1 to 6 months
    • Short-term - valid for 7 to 12 months
    • Long term - valid for 13 to 71 months
    • Permanent - valid for 6 years
    • Organization - valid for 3 years

    A person qualifies for a disability certificate if he or she has one or more of the following medical conditions:

    • A limited ability for movement;
    • A lung disease;
    • Lost an arm or leg and does not have or cannot use an artificial limb;
    • A cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified as a Class III or Class IV;

    If you wish to apply for a disability certificate, you must fill out an Application Form and have your doctor sign and mail it to the address provided on the form. You may also visit one of the DPS offices and lodge your application in person. Applicants who are trying to acquire temporary, short-term, or organization certificates are required to pay a $5 fee.

    If you are applying for a disabled person's license, you must fill out an application, have your doctor sign it, and either mail it to the address provided on the form or take it to one of the DPS offices.

    You can obtain more information on disability certificates and the parking privileges they offer at the Minnesota DPS website.

    Note: This article was accurate when it was published. Please confirm all details directly with the MN DPS. You can visit the MN DPS website or contact the DPS directly by phone or email

  • DriversEd.com is a privately held company and is in no way associated with the Department of Motor Vehicles, any other government agency, or the driving schools listed in this website. All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. DriversEd.com does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.