If you are a new Georgia resident, you are required to change your existing out-of-state license to a Georgia drivers license within 30 days of establishing residency. Drivers who live in the metro-Atlanta area may schedule an appointment to apply for a Georgia license.
If you currently 18 years or older and hold a valid out-of-state license (or an out-of-state license that expired less than two years ago), you must do the following when applying for a new Georgia drivers license:
- Surrender your current license.
- Provide a verifiable Social Security Number.
- Show documents that prove residence (a recent bank statement, utility bill, or lease or a letter from an employer on company letterhead with your current name and address).
- Show documents that prove identity (this may include an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of birth registration, a naturalization document, certain court records, a U.S. passport, a U.S. military ID, or an immigration card).
- Show documents that prove citizenship (this may include birth certificate from a U.S state or territory or an immigration document).
- Take a vision exam.
All documents must be certified originals – not photocopies.
If the applicant has lost his or her out-of-state license, he or she must show a letter of clearance from the issuing state (dated within 30 days) that includes the license holder's information. He or she must also show the same proof of residency, identity, and citizenship as listed above. If the out-of-state license has not expired for more than two years, the applicant will not be required to take a driving skills and a written knowledge exam. He or she will only be required to take a vision examination.
More information for new residents, including procedures for learners permits and minor licenses, can be found on the Georgia Department of Driver Services website. You will need to learn about driving rules and regulations in Georgia before getting your license. The Georgia drivers education course found at DriversEd.com is an excellent source.
Note: This article was accurate when it was published. Please confirm all details directly with the GA DDS. You can visit the GA DDS website or call (678) 413-8600 in Atlanta or (866) 754-3687 (outside Atlanta)for general drivers license and registration information.
DriversEd.com is a privately held company and is in no way associated with the Department of Motor Vehicles, any other government agency, or the driving schools listed in this website. All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. DriversEd.com does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.